IGNORED

the Burai fighter guru has met his match

shadow460

I picked up Burai Fighter Deluxe today. I need instructions for it or any information about it.

I'm used to keeping the NES version going so long that I have to stop and take sleep and go-to-work breaks, so getting wasted by some puny little cartridge in under five minutes is rather annoying.

Anyone ever play this game on the Game Boy? Got a scan or typed copy of the book?

It depends on which version you played. You control this dude flying through space on a rocket pack wielding a basic gun. Your power up weapons include lasers, wall penetrating rings, and missiles.

The NES version featured both side scrolling and top odwn view stages, whereas the DMG version had gobs of hidden rooms, stereo sound, and highly detailed backgrounds. The most notable things about the game are that you don't lose all your weapons when you die, and the bosses:

Giganticrab--a big ol green crab (he's green on the Color Game Boy, too)

Jawsipede--this dude you gotta shoot the connection points out of, then repeatedly shoot the segments' tails, Fangskull--looks like his name, Torchwing, a big bird who controls volcanic flames and possibly some fireballs, and the Slimedragon--this huge dragon that takes up half the screen.

I found out what my problem is: Burai Fighter Deluxe is NOT fully compatible with the Color Game Boy. I picked up a DMG unit today and it plays the game just fine. The Color Game Boy could be used with a Game Shark to play through the stages, then the game saved in order to beat the bosses on a classic Game Boy. It's probably just as good to play through it all on a Classic, though, as long as you've got a good front light.

I dunno if it works with any other Game Boys. I'd think it works with the Light and the Pocket, but not with anything above those.

It's too bad since the Color does a good job of rendering the game's backgrounds.

The NES version is what it is. It's a little better, but it's a little easier, too.

Which version did you play? In the NES version, Stage 1 will scroll upward sometimes. In Deluxe, it scrolls backwards, too. Deluxe doesn't have the top down stages either, where you're attacking a base instead of a boss.

Its a great game, but the only drawback is that Burai Fighter makes 2600 Adventure look totally flicker-free. Even the word "Pause" fickers on screen while the game's paused!

So does it not even come up on the GBA, or does it just kill you randomly?

Sorry for my late reply.

The guy is killed randomly, just like you described on the GBC :( . I can't really remember the massive amount of flickering, but I was quite young back then, so maybe I just didn't want to notice this ;)

I will probably buy the NES version too. Does anyone know whether the PAL-version will run on a NES-on-a-chip famiclone with NES-connector?

Ran across Burai Fighter today at our "Mom and Pop"game shop.It was $5 loose and they taking 50% off on top of that.I tried to talk my friend into picking it up because he is starting to collect NES games but no dice.He didnt want it so may go back and get it to have even thou i dont have a NES.

Ok i did it.I went today and picked up Burai Fighter for the NES.It was $5 but they took off 50%and a little extra just because he knows i come into the "Mom and Pop"every once in a while.So i paid a little under $2 for it and now am going to have to get dang NES to play it.That wasnt something i was planning collecting and i think my wife is going to kill me!lol.

Then she'll kill you again for spending the three hours it takes you to play through the whole game in one sitting!

Serious, when you get good at it and finally decide to sit down and play it through from Eagle stage 1 to the end of the ultimate challenge, plan three to four hours. I usually spend a lot of time in the Ace level just trying to beat the bosses, especially Jawsipede. He's tough, and unlike Deluxe, he splits in three sections, and the sections do not shrink while you shoot the tails. They take forever to kill.

All the bosses except Fangskull are a darn sight more difficult to kill on the NES, and they shoot at you constantly.

something else you'll see are that there are two extra stages. they play a lot like Asteroids, except that you can see the background scrolling. You'll figure out how to read the "maps" pretty quickly.

In those stages, you need to find a base and shoot the eyes out, just like killing Giganticrab in stage 1.

Also, the deadly spinner things have been replaced in most of the stages by other things that are far more difficult to deal with.

Last thing to point out is that there are no little star icons. The "keys" to the hidden rooms are invisible, and they're always underneath the Cannonheads. There are two rooms per stage instead of three. One per stage is available in the Ace level, and the rest are available in the Eagle and Albatross levels. I think you can enter the hidden rooms in stage 1, 4, and 7 in the Eagle level, and Stage 2 and 5 in the Albatross. There are no hidden rooms open in the Ultimate Challenge, and no extra life symbols there, either, so you really gotta duke it out there.

It's a lotta fun, though, and there's more stuff to it.

I also recommend running the game through the AV port. It seems to flicker a lot less than it does when run with RF. My DVD player was able to run the NES's mono output to both channels with no problem at all.

I oughta try and post videos here...I just kicked up on the first two bosses in the Ultimate level, and I impressed even me.

(shameless self promotion)