IGNORED

Any great CD-i minds out there? I need a PC.

Trench

Not sure if there's much interest, but I have a huge CD-i stash here-- about 80 discs I think (mostly unopened), a player with DVM, a GP 1100 CDi player, trackball, gun, and some controllers... I actually forgot about it til I saw this thread.

Maybe it's time to see if this stuff is worth anything on Ebay. :) Unless someone around here is feeling generous! :)

Oh, and I also trade for Colecovision stuff I need. :)

Murph

My goodwill has a whole pile of CD-i games (priced $4 a piece), all complete and in the box. Some even sealed.

Off the top of my head they have:

Mystic Midway: rest in pieces

Pinball

Dimo's Quest

escape from cyber city

Apprentice

Also they had a story teller one, louie Armstrong, a gardening one and an encyclopedia. If anyone is interested in them I'd probably be willing to go pick them up in exchange for games I'm interested in or money.

PM me or reply here.

Edited by rustblackend

I don't think I would have paid that much for those titles. Like it's been said, they really aren't games, they're edutainment titles. I've actually bought some of those for a lot less than that. There was one thrift that seemed to have them come in a lot. I even picked up a mess of Philips internal demonstration copies of titles, including one of the Zelda games. Most of the programs in my collection were around the 99¢ mark, and after trying them out, I still think I overpaid for them.

From a collector's standpoint, you probably got a good deal.... but as far as actually playing and enjoying any of what you got there, I'd say you wasted your money.

I actually like the CD-i, but good, fun games are far and few between for the system, and pretty much all you have is edutainment and children's games.

--Zero

alice was actually a pretty good graphic adventure game. the rest on that list are for 'cdi collectors' only. It really does amaze me how much crap came out for the cdi and how few actually even just average games (much less good,) were made. it's like the system itself is allergic to good games. best I've played so far is zenith and the golf game with eugene levy's voice. the rest pretty much sucks (in general, there are a few jewels,) or may have some moderate niche appeal, depending.

In the CD-i's defense, it was never really intended as a "game system" per se... Philips wanted it to be a multimedia player, hence all the informational material and VCD movies and such. The fact that you COULD do games with it sort of put the machine into a market that it was never really designed for in the first place, and one in which it was destined to fail. I'm not too sure what the real reason for this is... a lot of the blame probably falls on Philips own marketing team.

It's sort of like saying that DVD players suck because there aren't enough good games for them. Sure there are a few games (Dragon's Lair for example), but that's not what the machine is all about.

--Zero