IGNORED

xbox 360 "where's the beef" artice at IGN

swlovinist

First off, I want to say that I a supporter of Mircrosoft and their venture into the console market. I won an Xbox 360 last year, and it is the only "next gen" system I own. The article at IGN really got me to think how Microsoft is really flubbing up this holdiday season with their 360. I like the system, but for having a year start on everyone else, where are the games this holiday? I think that the 360 could really benifit from several things that Mircrosoft has yet to do. Instead of really putting the pressure on the other consoles, the 360 seems to be having a "light Xmas release". This is just stupid on the part of Microsoft. I have played Gears of War and it is an A+ game, but it is going to take more than that to woo people into buying the console. Where is the price drops? Where is a flipping harddrive upgrade? It just get s me mad to see all three consoles making bonehead mistakes. While I understand that Microsoft is still new to the console market, the 360 shows much room for improvement.

Well, to be honest, they don't really have to do a price drop because they are $200 cheaper than the other HD gaming system. They are also the only in-stock HD gaming system. I don't really see the 360 and the Wii as direct competitors because they provide different things. It is more likely that soneone will own a 360 OR a PS3, then for someone to own a PS3 OR a 360.

Yeah it would be nice if there were more "must have" games this holiday season, though. I think Gears of War will sell some systems, though. It seems to be the kind of game that is drawing people in who wanted to buy a 360, but didn't have quite enough motivation. And I think the fact that the PS3 generated more hype for HD gaming, which Sony now can't provide because there are no systems to sell, will have people buying 360s. Over on the AVS forums, there are a lot of new 360 owners all of a sudden. The system seems to be gaining in popularity, and the fact that it's only competition this season is the Wii (which is also HTF) works greatly in it's favor.

I think M$ will have a healthy Christmas this year.

Chris

Aren't all the games still DVD based as opposed to the HDDVD format? Since Microsoft didn't build in the HD component do you think they are even going to release HD specific games especially since the HD component in teh 360 is just a USB plug-in?

I'm not sure but, isn't the compression ratio different between HD and Reg DVD so that DVD can't play in all HD players and vice a verse? :?

I'm wondering if microsoft is underestimating this christmas.

I've walked into several stores numerous times over the last week and I see 360 boxes piled up all over the place! Literally. Either people are holding out in hopes a PS3 or wii shipment will come in or they are purchasing something else (like an HDTV, DS, or PSP).... Sounds like even the PS2 sales have gone up. Although they've yet to specify how much (sorry percentages don't mean shit, how about some real numbers).

Mircosoft should have done a price drop this Christmas. It seems like over 90% of the publicity this Christmas has gone to Sony and Nintendo and dropping prices would have generated some buzz. Hell a $50 price drop would put the core system at the same price as a Wii and they could brag that the premium system at $350 was about half the price as a PS3.

I do agree that the 360 needs more killer aps and more exclusive software. Gears of Wars seems nice but it's still just another shooter at the end of the day and the 360 needs a more diverse nice, specifically more RPGs.

Overall I think Microsoft has squandered the year head start it had. They didn't sell enough units (I think the orginal X Box had better sales at this point in its life) and now Sony and Nintendo are in the next gen market the 360 is dangerously close to becoming the next Dreamcast (and I don't mean that in a good way)

I've said before that a $50 price drop on the core and a larger standard hard drive on the premium would really make people take notice. But like jibbajaba said, MS doesn't need to cut prices. There are no PS3's to be found (releatively speaking) and the core doesn't directly compete with the Wii.

I was at my local Sam's Club during the PS3/Wii launch weekend and noticed that there was only one lonely X360 sitting on a pallet. I also picked a X360 up this year, even though I was going to wait it out one more year. Damn, this is the first time I ever paid starting price for a console! So I think MS will be a winner this Christmas. But with another couple of big games (how about a RPG) or a price cut, they could have made a killing.

The entire reason of releasing the X360 earlier than the competition was to establish a large enough user base to win the console war. I don't think that MS acheived their goal, because X360 sales haven't been all that strong. I mean the PS2 and the DS have been out-sellng it. I do believe that X360 sales for the first year are higher than the original Xbox's first year though.

What I'm not getting is why some people act like the Wii and 360 aren't in direct competition. Yes I understand they do different things and are somewhat going after different markets but first and foremost they are video game consoles going after gamers and since most gamers only have so much disposable income a choice is going to have to be made. Money that goes towards the Wii and Wii gamers is money that isn't going towards the 360 and its games and vice versa. Not regarding Nintendo as competition could be one of those things that ends up biting Microsoft in the ass.

Aren't all the games still DVD based as opposed to the HDDVD format? Since Microsoft didn't build in the HD component do you think they are even going to release HD specific games especially since the HD component in teh 360 is just a USB plug-in?

I'm not sure but, isn't the compression ratio different between HD and Reg DVD so that DVD can't play in all HD players and vice a verse? :?

You're confusing movies and games.

HD is just shorthand for a few high resolutions set by the ATSC. The most common of these are 1280x720 progressive and 1920x1080 interlaced, although both the Xbox 360 and PS3 also support 1920x1080 progressive (which is not an ATSC standard, but is better than 1080i).

In-game graphics can be shown at HD resolutions just like movies can and they don't require any special drives to do it. AFAIK, all Xbox 360 games are HD, though most are 720p. The same is true of the PS3, though if I gather correctly, PS3 games must support both 720p and 1080i at least (though don't quote me on that).

So your questions are kinda moot, because MS is already releasing "HD specific" games and has been since the Xbox 360's launch.

I agree with the Wii being competition. I know that it is not a "HD game console" but the public still is holding out on HD to go down in price. There are still more standard TV units in households than HDTVs. Another thing to consider is price, which if you look at the portable market, kicked PSP in the balls. Sony tried to sell the public on a high end system that was an all in one machine. While the system is great, it costs $70 more than the DS. Price does matter. In the console market I know that there has been alot of debate over whether the price of the PS3 was too high, and if the "new norm" for a gaming console would be $399. I still think that the magic number is $299 for a console to do well. While the 360 is the middle of the road in pricing, they need to light a fire of interest. The core unit was a trojan horse last Christmas to say that Microsoft could release their gaming unit at $299. The real unit that everyone has is $399 and that is $150 more expensive than the Wii. Only time will tell how this will affect the current console war. I dont see the 360 selling badly, I just see it doing "ok" this holiday. This is too bad because it could have done "great"

Edited by swlovinist

I am happy about Gears of War, Rainbow 6 Vegas, new Call of Duty, Splinter Cell Double Agent and FEAR.

While some of those games might be multi-platform, I can tell you for a fact that I will be playing Call of Duty on my 360, not my Wii. Same for Splinter Cell.

I see this as a bit of a problem for Wii. I think Wii will be a lot of people's 'other system'.

And if a game is multi-platform, I don't think anyone will be buying it for the Wii instead of the 360 or PS3. I know I won't. Wii is for Zelda, Mario, and silly fun ninchuck games like Wii Sports.

Gears of War is a huge release and is basically the 360's 'Halo' (until Halo 3 comes out :D).

Gears of War will sell systems this year and Halo 3 will be some pretty big competition next year.

I think they have a good plan and there will be a lot of 360's under the tree this year.

I was at my local Sam's Club during the PS3/Wii launch weekend and noticed that there was only one lonely X360 sitting on a pallet. I also picked a X360 up this year, even though I was going to wait it out one more year. Damn, this is the first time I ever paid starting price for a console! So I think MS will be a winner this Christmas. But with another couple of big games (how about a RPG) or a price cut, they could have made a killing.

Speaking of the Sam's Club bundle, I was tempted to pick it up when I was having trouble finding a Wii, but I'm not sure how it compares to the basic core system or the holy shit everything included system. I don't want to pick it up if it's underwhelming compared to the bundle with the bigger HD and wireless remotes because I already had to settle for the 20 GB PS3 with no wireless internet and have had to cobble it together piece by piece ever since. It would be better to get it all in one shot and I get the feeling this Sam's bundle might just be the basic core with some extras, not the real deal.

Speaking of the Sam's Club bundle, I was tempted to pick it up when I was having trouble finding a Wii, but I'm not sure how it compares to the basic core system or the holy shit everything included system. I don't want to pick it up if it's underwhelming compared to the bundle with the bigger HD and wireless remotes because I already had to settle for the 20 GB PS3 with no wireless internet and have had to cobble it together piece by piece ever since. It would be better to get it all in one shot and I get the feeling this Sam's bundle might just be the basic core with some extras, not the real deal.

I looked over the Sam's Club X360 bundle earlier this year. Unless they changed it, it is a premium system with an extra wireless controller, rechargeable battery and plug 'n' play charger. Basically you get the charger and battery for free.

I looked over the Sam's Club X360 bundle earlier this year. Unless they changed it, it is a premium system with an extra wireless controller, rechargeable battery and plug 'n' play charger. Basically you get the charger and battery for free.

I believe the one I looked at mentioned a tote/carrying bag, so it may or may not be the same bundle. I'll try to swing by there today again since I wanted to check their selection of Wii games again anyway.

Most of the games I want bad, BioShock, Lost Planet, Alan Wake, Alone In The Dark, and Turok are released after December. It would have been nice if they were released mid December. But I think Microsoft is trying to get the point across that the XBOX 360 has a decent sized library already.

Edited by xenomorpher

The same is true of the PS3, though if I gather correctly, PS3 games must support both 720p and 1080i at least (though don't quote me on that).

The PS3 games I have here are 720p only. If you set your system for 1080i they downscale to 480p. :woozy:

I am happy about Gears of War, Rainbow 6 Vegas, new Call of Duty, Splinter Cell Double Agent and FEAR.

Me too, I've got plenty of great gaming ahead on the 360 right now. Not to mention the Oblivion expansion which I haven't had the time to check out yet :)

While some of those games might be multi-platform, I can tell you for a fact that I will be playing Call of Duty on my 360, not my Wii. Same for Splinter Cell. I see this as a bit of a problem for Wii. I think Wii will be a lot of people's 'other system'.

And if a game is multi-platform, I don't think anyone will be buying it for the Wii instead of the 360 or PS3. I know I won't.

And neither will I. In a choice of multi platform games, the Wii doesn't stand a chance. I've said this quite a few times before, but while the Wiis control system might be just the ticket (FPS for example) the system itself is sorely lacking the power to create the environmental experience for all the rest of the game.

You guys not wanting a Wii don't know what you're missing. I dont understand how anyone wouldn't want one in addition to their other things. Hi Def is overrated anyway... I mean, it's real nice, but not mindblowing in my humble opinion. It's just sharper & clearer. Woop. Just enjoy that on the other stuff but that shouldn't stop anyone from getting on the Wii bandwagon! Hop on in :D

p.s. Alls I need now is a PS3 then this generation is complete. :cool: I need to catch up with Megamanfan!

You guys not wanting a Wii don't know what you're missing. I dont understand how anyone wouldn't want one in addition to their other things. Hi Def is overrated anyway... I mean, it's real nice, but not mindblowing in my humble opinion. It's just sharper & clearer.

I've already got one. I have the 360/Wii/PS3 trio here already! :P

Anyhow, it's not just 'hidef' itself - it's the Wiis lack of ability to create complex graphical environments for games where that's part of the experience - that is the big problem.

Anyhow, it's not just 'hidef' itself - it's the Wiis lack of ability to create complex graphical environments for games where that's part of the experience - that is the big problem.

Well to be fair.. it's not like it CAN'T do that.. It can! Just not at the level of the 360/PS3 :) Zelda has pretty huge environments I must say that are nice graphically. But once I transition to Gears of War for example, the difference is obvious. That being said, I'm just as immersed in Zora's domain and that huge ass lake in Zelda as I am playing GoW on XBLive. Point being, yeah it's not as as graphically powerful. But we knew that. Heck, it's a GC 1.5 :P

Most of the games I want bad, BioShock, Lost Planet, Alan Wake, Alone In The Dark, and Turok are released after December. It would have been nice if they were released mid December. But I think Microsoft is trying to get the point across that the XBOX 360 has a decent sized library already.

I agree with this. I can say, from what little I have paid attention, that the 360 has had a fairly decent amount of solid titles from month to month. I can't recall too much lag time as far as good releases go. I really don't play much in the summertime so I was outta the loop for a few months.

I also agree that the 360 has a great lineup already, very diverse, and a great lineup to come. Instead of having that must have game for the holidays, they have an awesome looking release list coming up for the first half of next year. Compare it to the PS3 or wii, the 360 is the one with the games. It may have been smarter to release GOW around right now maybe, but on the other hand, the game has proven it's worth not only to the media but gamers as well, which clearly will provide some sales. Hell, it is #1 on the most wanted game list for the holidays.

Edited by Starscream

I'm actually relieved there aren't a shit load of must haves being released right now. I'm so backed up with the games I have now now it's not funny. I have about 7 games I haven't even booted up yet. People talk like of the 160 games available for the 360 only 1 is worth playing (GoW) It's bullshit people. If someone bought a new 360 right now, I could list dozens of must have games off the top of my head. I haven't bought a stinker yet, unlike the PS1 and PS2 where I have several games I bought, played one time and abandoned.

I'm sure everyone advocating a price drop is aware of the fact MS has just now started to make money on every 360 sold. So why would they want to start losing money hand over fist like with the last x box? And the "I see systems everywhere" arguement is all here say and not very meaningful. I see ps2s everywhere but it doesn't mean they are selling poorly. Not to mention the 360 and 7 or 8 good to awesome games that came out this month that's more than the other systems can say.

I was reading in OXM that Guitar Hero II is coming out for the 360 sometime in the winer or spring. That gives the XBox a definite boost, as that game seems to be popular as hell. Too bad for Sony that they couldn't keep it as an exclusive. It will also come with an XBox-exclusive Explorer guitar instead of the SG packaged with the PS2 version.

I think a real key to success for the XBox needs to be prying away some of Playstation's exclusives. The price differential between the two systems may encourage developers to develop for both platforms if the PS3's sales numbers are lackluster once the system is widely available and the initial hype dies down.

Hopefully GTA IV will be released either simultaneously on both platforms, or will come out for the 360 first (traditionally it has come to the PS2 first, then the XBox later). It is also good to see that Resident Evil 5 will be coming to the 360. Microsoft's system also needs a good RPG. Hopefully Blue Dragon will turn out to be a good game.

Chris

I think a real key to success for the XBox needs to be prying away some of Playstation's exclusives.

I'm not sure if you noticed but sony has no exclusives to pry away anymore, final fantasy and what metal gear? I honestly can't think of anything else. A lot of of games are hitting both at the same time, that will most likely be the order of the day this gen.