IGNORED

How to win at home videogames

Atarifever

I just watched a pile of these on youtube (for anyone not familiar with them, they're a set of videos showing how to beat games in the early 80s). Anyway, although their "strategies" basically come from the manuals that come with the games, I found it enjoyable stuff to watch, and was wondering if any online stores still sell copies. Also, I had a book with strategies for early NES games back in the day, does anyone know anywhere that still sells items like that online? Preferably, any with general arcade strategies would be great. I'm not interested in them for their strategies, which are all online, but because they seem like they'd make great collectables to me.

I collect tip books like what I think you are on about.

There was the whole series How to Win at Nintendo by Jeff Rovin. 3 novel-sized books that all suck, but I read them cover to cover back when. I think I have a Super NES one also and I am sure he wrote a Genesis book or two. You can find this stuff sometimes - used bookstores and Goodwill are, well good.

There was the whole series How to Win at Nintendo by Jeff Rovin. 3 novel-sized books that all suck, but I read them cover to cover back when.

Did they have "Star Force" in them, because the one I had had that in it, and was novel sized. I read anything videogame related back then, even the Blaster Master novel.

I think Jeff Rovin wrote a total of FOUR How To Win At Nintendo books, the last one bearing no visual resemblance to the previous three. I happened to have owned those books at one time, including one he wrote on how to win at Super Nintendo games and another on how to win at Gameboy games.

Did they have "Star Force" in them, because the one I had had that in it, and was novel sized. I read anything videogame related back then, even the Blaster Master novel.

That I don't remember, but I could check.

Oh, and that Blaster Master novel. I have it too. Not sure I should brag about that though

Jeff Rovin wrote a ton of how to win at video game books. His frist one was published in the early '80s called How To Win At Every Video Game In The Galaxy. Whats was really interesting about that book was how deep it got into theories of gameplay and scoring. It didn't just give advice on where to place your ship in Galaxian or describe the movements of the ghosts in Pacman, it got into some really abstract descriptions of how to do well in video games generally. There were even sections dealing with finger dexterity training and stuff. Probably all that stuff was just filler to make what would otherwise have been a really tiny book seem a little more substantial, but somehow the filler seemed more interesting than the actual concrete strategies. To me at least.

Other books by Jeff Rovin include How To Win At Gameboy Games and How To Win At Sega Genesis Games and probably some tohers I haven't ever seen.

And in answer to the original question of where to find the How To Beat Home Video Games videos for sale, check the top link in the "Similar Topics" section at the bottom of this page, though those are just burned copies it's probably the best you'll do at least at a reasonable price.

...word is bondage...