IGNORED

What Browser are you using to visit AtariAge with?

Albert

Since this has come up a few times recently, I figured it'd be nice to run a poll to see what browser people are using to visit AtariAge with. I know the forums don't look great with Netscape 4.x and I bet they don't look that spiffy on a WebTV box either. And hey, I wanted to test this poll feature to make sure it works. ;) Please comment below if you have any specific browser issues when wandering around AtariAge.

I personally use Mozilla 1.0 (and will probably try 1.1 tonight) for nearly all my browsing. I only use Internet Explorer now when I'm forced to.

..Al

they have 1.1 up already? I just now dled 1.0, id been using 1.0RC2

Yes, Mozilla 1.1 Alpha was released today. This is supposedly two months of development, with over 1700 bug fixes and over a dozen new features (at least if I'm to believe Slashdot). I'm downloading it now. :)

..Al

BTW: Why don't you ask the browser directly :?:

Well, for one not every browser accurately reports what it is. Especially for less popular browsers, so they can get around sites that might sniff out Internet Explorer and Netscape and prevent everything else from getting in. Second, some browsers let you change the User Agent, so you can trick a website into thinking your browsing with just about anything. Third, I wanted to give people a chance to respond in a thread if they had anything interesting to say on the subject. Fourth, I wanted to try out the poll feature to make sure it's working. Fifth, I wanted to further pimp Mozilla. ;)

..Al

Actually the browser you are using is by default pretending to be an Internet Explorer 5.0. Check under Preferences->Network, there you can specify as which browser Opera should identify itself :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Fifth, I wanted to further pimp Mozilla.  ;)

Hi Al!

When I'm buying a new computer by the end of the year, I'm probably going to swap to Mozilla, too.

Opera really is a damn cool browser, but it's Mail-Client is only so-so and its News-Client really, really sucks.

Since I like to have it all in one, I'm giving Mozilla a chance. Though I fear I might be already too used too all of Operas neato features like mouse-gesturing to live without again :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Actually the browser you are using is by default pretending to be an Internet Explorer 5.0. Check under Preferences->Network, there you can specify as which browser Opera should identify itself :)

No exactly, Opera says it's IE, but addes Opera to the identifier string. When Microsoft tried to block their portal, they identified my browser as Opera.

But with Webwasher this was easily solvable. (No I'm not interested in that portal!) ;)

I think Al should do both, an active poll like this one and checking the browser identification. But methods are not perfect, but the average might be better.

• 2 weeks later...

Al -

I'll bet most people don't even nbotice this forum. I'm guessing if you mention the poll in one of the more popular forums (2600, 5200, etc...), or on the main page, you'll get a greater response.

I'm using Opera 5.12. Over the last week or so, I've noticed one weirdness. I mentioned this in a previous post, but it might have been overlooked, so if you already read this, sorry, I don't mean to nag.

When I load the message board, it fails to load completely/correctly at first. Opera thinks it's finished, but either only shows a small amount of the top of the page, or shows incomplete, unrendered code, or shows nothing at all. Yet the browser thinks it has the whole page; the indicator that toggles between 'stop' or 'reload' shows the 'reload' status, and the progress indicator behaves as though the page is completely loaded. At that point, if I hit reload the board loads perfectly. I'm pretty sure this isn't directly related to the new software, as I believe it worked fine at first when the new board went live. However, it might be related to some tweak or another that has occurred since the board went live.

Steve

I just noticed the cool new "buttons" on the pages, very nice.

This site just gets better and better...

I just noticed this poll...and just voted now.

I assume that a person can't vote more than once? Is that coded in or something preventing people from doing this?

The only thing is still the editing that takes about 2 minutes, which I know you will be fixing with the faster hardware soon.

I used to use Netscape 4.x, but have recently turned it in for Opera. I'm probably going to try Mozilla again when Gnome 2.0 is finalized... however, I haven't had much luck with it in the past, so I'm expecting to stick with Opera for the time being.

I still don't understand why people still use IE. It's an awful excuse for a web browser. I agree, it's the lazy approach, since it's already installed, but I think it's definitely worth it to replace it.

--Zero

By the way, how exactly do we create polls ourself? I don't see any options for it, and from what I gather from the FAQ, if we don't see them, then we're not allowed to create them? Are they still in the works, or are you just keeping them for moderators or something?

--Zero

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever use Net Captor? I like the feature that browser has where it opens tabs instead of additional windows. So there is always only one instance of the browser running and each window you want open (or stupid pop-ups) reside on a different tab. I wish MS would incorporate this into IE.

Anyone ever use Net Captor?

Never heard of it. Could you provide some details (platform, costs, size etc.) please?

I like the feature that browser has where it opens tabs instead of additional windows.  So there is always only one instance of the browser running and each window you want open (or stupid pop-ups) reside on a different tab.  I wish MS would incorporate this into IE.

That's one of the major features of Opera too. You can choose if you want tabs or additional windows.

Anyone ever use Net Captor?  I like the feature that browser has where it opens tabs instead of additional windows.  So there is always only one instance of the browser running and each window you want open (or stupid pop-ups) reside on a different tab.  I wish MS would incorporate this into IE.

This is also a feature in Mozilla, and is extremely useful. It's also addicting, as I've discovered anytime I'm using IE and I can't open up new pages in tabs. :)

..Al

By the way, how exactly do we create polls ourself? I don't see any options for it, and from what I gather from the FAQ, if we don't see them, then we're not allowed to create them? Are they still in the works, or are you just keeping them for moderators or something?

Right now we have polls disabled for everyone except moderators. We may try enabling them at some point to see what happens, but we don't want to see a ton of senseless polls cluttering up the various forums..

..Al

I use 80% Explorer and 20% Opera

But when I start to surf on the web, back in 1995, I was a truly devoted Netscape user ;)

But I'll give a try to Mozilla (currently downloading it)

I use IE mainly because we run a newspapers/press site and that for compatability reason, most users run IE on any platforms, so we must be best viewed on the most used browser of earth (even if it comes from MicroSux)

Mozilla sounds interesting. But can a complete computer ignoramus set it up and use it? I had to have liquid sky's help just to get my custom avatar working. :dunce: And it turns out the problem was Internet Explorer. Had to use Netscape to get the image under 15K.

its no more difficult than any other browser, and the plug-ins and add-ons install themselfes, no hard work there... and customising things is a snap. Look around in off topic for a post containing mozilla, it basically has the small steps albert listed to ban popups and get your initial settings as great as possible.. as always if you need help ask, its not that hard.. ill help ya i you need it.