IGNORED

My Sega CD --HELP! ....took apart/found culprit!

ewing92

I just got a free Sega CD Model 1 from my friend's sister w/ genesis on top.

How much is the model 1 worth with the genesis?

She didn't give me any hook-ups because she didn't have any, so what all do i need to hook it up?

The Model 1's are more expensive than the model 2 right?

Thanks everybody.

Edited by ewing92

model one is the only one that is compadable with everything including the sega master system base converter.

SegaCD has nothing to do with the Power Base Converter.

And the PBC WILL work with a Mk2 Genny(and a CDX?) provided the PBC case is altered so it doesn't interfere with the plugs.

As far as hookups...

You need an AC adapter for the SCD. I'm not sure on voltage/polarity.

You need a patch cable. This has a headphone plug on each end, and runs from the Genny's headphone port to the line in on the back of the SCD.

You need a pair of RCA cables. These will be your sole source of audio while the SegaCD is connected(the Mk2 Genny greatly improved things by adding audio in to the expansion connector, so SCD sound comes out the Genesis AV connector).

You need your Genny AC adapter and AV cable.

????

Sega CD doesn't have anything to do with the Power Base Converter. I've had the model 2 CD attached to model 1 Genesis and the PBC worked fine.

Genesis model 2 also works with PBC, it just doesn't fit because of the plastic housing. There exists an Europe only pbc 2 that fits Genesis model 2 but no card slot.

As far as hookups...

You need an AC adapter for the SCD. I'm not sure on voltage/polarity.

You need a patch cable. This has a headphone plug on each end, and runs from the Genny's headphone port to the line in on the back of the SCD.

You need a pair of RCA cables. These will be your sole source of audio while the SegaCD is connected(the Mk2 Genny greatly improved things by adding audio in to the expansion connector, so SCD sound comes out the Genesis AV connector).

You need your Genny AC adapter and AV cable.

Will the Sega Genesis' power cord work w/ the SCD?

I have a Nintendo RF Cable, and it fits into the genesis, but it doesn't show anything on the screen, only sound comes from the tv.(this has nothing to do w/ the SCD btw) Does the Nintendo rf cable even work?

What is the patch cable for?

Thanks

Model 1 Genesis and Sega CD use the same kind of power supply, and Model 2 Genesis and Sega CD also use the same different kind of power supply (the "yellow tip" power supply). I think the Sega Master System also uses the same power supply as the Genesis 1.

I was digging around trying to get a set together the other day and could only find a single Model 1 power supply, but I wanted to use my Multi Game Hunter unit, which also used a Model 1 power supply, so I had to set up a Genesis 2. I have to use a screwdriver to reach the power button on the Genesis 2 under the MGH. :roll:

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

What is the patch cable for?

The SegaCD has it's own sound hardware. SCD games use this hardware AND the sound hardware in the base Genesis.

BUT! There's no provision in a Genesis 1 to combine the 2 through the expansion connector, so you can't hear both parts at the same time... UNLESS you run a cable from the Genesis headphone port to the SegaCD. The cable is responsible for bringing Genesis audio into the SegaCD for mixing. Which is why you have to use the SegaCD's audio output connectors when combining it with a Genesis 1.

Both Sega CD models use the original Genesis supply. You can't use a yellow tip plug with the 2nd CD unit.

I was under the impression that the mixing cable for the first genesis was only to get stereo out of the unit as the first genesis didn't output stereo through the AV jack on the back. That way you could pass the sound from the Genesis into the Sega CD, and then use the stereo out jacks on that.

I was under the impression that the mixing cable for the first genesis was only to get stereo out of the unit as the first genesis didn't output stereo through the AV jack on the back. That way you could pass the sound from the Genesis into the Sega CD, and then use the stereo out jacks on that.

I was under the impression that no SCD audio made it into a Genny 1 at all.

I suppose I need to experiment some with mine.

JB is right on the audio... the Genesis 1 is not equipped with any audio lines on the expansion socket. Though it is an understandable confusion.. since the audio at the rear is mono and the audio on the headphone jack is stereo.

My Model 1 Sega Genesis is modified to not need the patch cable.(It was done along with import mods on both my Model 1 genesis and model 1 SCD) OSG added stereo audio lines to the expansion port for me.

Edited by SuperPsycho

Weird. I've owned both models many times throughout the years and never noticed anything missing when playing games ( i never hooked up the mixing cable). Not that i don't believe you, i'm just really surpised I never noticed a difference. What would be a good game to run to make it evident?

Weird. I've owned both models many times throughout the years and never noticed anything missing when playing games ( i never hooked up the mixing cable). Not that i don't believe you, i'm just really surpised I never noticed a difference. What would be a good game to run to make it evident?

The SCD BIOS boot. :P

The jingle that plays while it spins the SCD and Sega logos around has a drum track that's generated entirely on the SCD side, while everything else is done on the Genny.

If you were using the Genny audio out(as I assume you were), you'd have no drum track.

As far as games... don't 3/4s of them use redbook audio for music and voice acting?

????

Sega CD doesn't have anything to do with the Power Base Converter. I've had the model 2 CD attached to model 1 Genesis and the PBC worked fine.

Genesis model 2 also works with PBC, it just doesn't fit because of the plastic housing. There exists an Europe only pbc 2 that fits Genesis model 2 but no card slot.

I read it wrong, i thought we were talking about the system not the cd attachment :P

Alright. You've piqued my interest.

I knew that a patch cable was required for stereo, but not for getting any sound out of the SegaCD. So I fired up my Gen1/CD1 combo and checked out the audio.

The drum track was there (along with some bass, I might add. :) ) As for there being no audio lines to the Genesis, the SegaCD played a CD just fine and there is no patch cable attached to my systems.

Are you sure that perhaps you don't have it backwards? I DO remember when I hooked up the RCA cables to the back of the SegaCD without the patch cable, the drum track was there (along with an annoying high-pitched portion of the jingle), but no Genesis music. When I have the Genesis hooked up to the audio, the drum track, etc is all there... at least I believe so - I can't be certain as to whether the annoying high-pitched noise is there as I don't really enjoy listening to it. :)

I was able to listen to a CD which means that there are at least SOME audio lines going from the CD unit to the Genesis itself as I doubt they bothered converting the CD just to cram it through the connector to pass it off on the Z80...

My impression has always been that you use the patch cable so that you can have stereo sound. The only stereo output on the Genesis is through the headphone port and it appears that no audio lines go from the Genesis -> SegaCD (but my experiment hints that perhaps there are audio lines going from the SegaCD -> Genesis). So the only way to get the sound mixed (and still be in stereo) was to use the patch cable -- It doesn't appear to be necessary to get sound FROM the SegaCD.

Does this make sense or did I completely miss the point somewhere?

Chalk another one up to "common knowledge", then.

I guess someone took the "patch cable is required to get stereo sound" thing and extrapolated it out to "patch cable is required to get sound" and it got spread all over the place.

Good to know Sega wasn't as insane as it looked, and that a SCD/Genny1/32x combo is usable for 32xCD games.

Some games (farienheight, probbly mangle dthe spelling) Have two CD's for Sega CD, and 32X. The 32X disk, may, or may not work without the 32X attached. It useually used for more color, sound, or other things. But the CD version will definately work without the 32X.

I don't know how many 32X CD games are set up to play on both systems though, probably most are 32X exclusive and won't work properly (or at all) without a 32X.

i pretty much thought you could only play 32xCD games with the 32x......my copy of Corpse killer CD wont play without the 32x strapped in......

What I meant was that with a 32x on a Genny1, there's no way to get audio running to the SegaCD and then from the SegaCD into the 32x. Well, not without making a custom cable.

Knowing the SCD CAN pass audio into the Genny1 makes that a lot less ugly, since it means you can just use the AV out on the Genny 1, and you don't have to pick which part of the sound hardware is going to work.