IGNORED

Buy Pac-Man Collection for the 7800!

Trebor

I got mine today, and it is smokin'!

I could superglue this cart. in my 7800 and play it forever, there are just SOOOO many options.

FANTASTIC game, worth the wait!!

Still haven't gotten mine!

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

oh well, prob. be in the mail tomorrow!

Ah seems as if you did'nt read far enough as he's received it!

Still no Pac-Man Collection....

E-mailed the store.

Pretty sure that if you ordered Toyshop Trouble your order is being held up untill that game is ready to ship. Patience :)

Seems you did'nt read far enough as he's received it!

Edited by diggs130

I'm not sure what Walter said but I just tested it on one of my PAL 7800s and it's playable but buggy.

The sound and gameplay are both rather sluggish, the screen is centered too high so that you can't see the score at the top and there is garbage at the bottom.

Bob, if you want to borrow a PAL 7800 for a month or so let me know. :)

Mitch

Hi Mitch

that is exactly,what i meant.It is playable,but with little bugs.

greetings Walter

Hi Walter, Mitch

... I guess I should have re-read the thread. :-/

I actually looked at the PAL ROM of Ms. Pac-Man 7800, and found that it's 32K where the NTSC ROM is 16K! (and there is different code in the first 16K block, so it's not just a repeat)

I used DisTella on both ROMS (NTSC and PAL), and then did a 'diff' (UNIX command) on the two sources, expecting to find only a few differences (colors, Display List List sizes for the screen number of lines, etc). I was hoping to do that same thing in mine. The differences were huge!

Was I wrong in my thinking? Why are there so many differences between the NTSC and PAL ROMS?

Thanks,

Bob

EDIT: (for spelling)

Edited by PacManPlus

Was I wrong in my thinking? Why are there so many differences between the NTSC and PAL ROMS?

I have no idea, but then I'm not a programmer either. Maybe one of the 7800 programming gurus around here can help. :)

Mitch

I actually looked at the PAL ROM of Ms. Pac-Man 7800, and found that it's 32K where the NTSC ROM is 16K! (and there is different code in the first 16K block, so it's not just a repeat)

I used DisTella on both ROMS (NTSC and PAL), and then did a 'diff' (UNIX command) on the two sources, expecting to find only a few differences (colors, Display List List sizes for the screen number of lines, etc). I was hoping to do that same thing in mine. The differences were huge!

Try splitting each ROM into 16K or 8K chunks (UNIX 'split' or 'dd' commands), then 'cmp' or 'md5sum' to compare the chunks. Sometimes incorrectly dumped ROMs have doubled banks. Could be the first 16K of the dump is identical to the second half, or it could be weirder than that.

Were you using the dumps from the Atariage database?

Were you using the dumps from the Atariage database?

Of course not, silly, there's no PAL dump there...

OK, what I've found out is that the PAL version of Ms. Pac-Man really is a 32K ROM, but most of the first bank is unused (set to $FF).

The first half of the ROM dump (after the 128 byte A78 header) contains 512 bytes of non-$FF data, half of which are $00, then 15.5K worth of $FF bytes.

The second half of the ROM dump is very similar (but not identical) to the NTSC 16K ROM. The differences between the NTSC dump and the 2nd half of the PAL dump start at byte 2597.

It looks like someone converted the 16K NTSC version, but ran out of space in the 16K ROM (perhaps due to inexperience, or perhaps there's more to 7800 PAL/NTSC conversions that I think there is). Rather than tighten it up, they just released it as a 32K cart... with 49% of the space blank/unused. Maybe they were trying to meet a tight deadline or something.