IGNORED

correct pronounciation of A8 CPU

carmel_andrews

Anyway the reason people pronounce it wrong is that they've never seen that video (maybe they're so new at Linux that they don't even know who Linus is). Lots of words I know that I've only ever seen written, never heard pronounced... it's kind of an occupational hazard of reading too much.

Yep same problem and same probable cause (too much reading) here. Anyhow to be honest I don't see that it matters much so long as people understand what you're talking about. There are at least 3 pronunciations of Linux in our office and we all know what each other means.

• 3 years later...

Everyone I have ever met who has owned a 6502-based machine here in the US refers to it as a "Sixty Five Oh Two" and refer to the series as the "sixty five hundred series" as "six thousand five hundred" takes too much effort to say. I have never heard it referred to differently by anyone before. No.... I have never left the US.

As for the 68K's..... The only way I've ever heard them read was:

"sixty eight thousand"

"sixty eight oh ten"

"sixty eight oh twenty"

"sixty eight oh thirty"

etc.

These speech patterns roll off the tongue much easier for us yanks. Most techs here would think you're either new in the field or a pompous douche for saying "six five zero two". It's also harder to say "six five zero two" as quickly or naturally as "sixty five oh two". That would be like insisting everyone called the 386 an 80386DX. Here they were always referred to as the "three eighty six" vs "three eight six" or "eight zero three eight six". Now I have heard "eight oh three eighty six" once or twice. Now I'm not making fun of anyone or insisting they're wrong, just pointing out some culture differences. Things might be different there.

Most people here say "oh" here because they're lazy and it saves uttering a syllable. Has nothing to do with typing. Most fellow Americans I've ever met use "oh" in place of "zero" for most things unless they are reading a license plate tag, serial number, etc. If there's no mixed numbers and letters...."oh"="zero" usually.

As for the SQL/Sequel thing...... IBM developed a db lang called SEQUEL (Structured English QUEry Language) for their early RDBMS efforts before the A8 ever existed. SEQUEL turned out to be someone else's trademark so they renamed it SQL (ess queue ell). By the time the first commercial RDBMS shipped, it was already called SQL.

Personally, people calling it sequel around me at work drives me nuts. Ess Queue Ell is correct. SEQUEL sounds goofy to me and they changed the name on purpose before most people who call it "SEQUEL" were even born. QUEL is a valid though dying database language, SEQUEL is not.

Anyway, figured I'd add my 2 cents....

• Like 1

Sixty-five oh two, and his good friends sixty-five oh seven and sixty-five ten, and big brother sixty-five eight sixteen.

z80 - another grey area? How about "Zee-eight-oh" (kinda sounds like a hippy revival festival)

Zed-eighty around here, and in the UK. Should be the same in .au too.

That's not too different from the US. We refer to it as a "Zee Eighty" or "Eighty Eighty" for the original Intel version. Again, for most of us Zee-Eighty is easier for most of us to say quickly and naturally here.

Now I understand what I was reading when I was looking at ZX81 info. It seems a lot of folks across the pond referred to them as their little "Zeddy". Was confused until now. I was expecting more endearing terms like "waste of good cassette tapes" but apparently a handful of people actually liked them. Poor bastards. I wouldn't punish my kids like that. It's just wrong.... maybe even abuse. The ZX81 is the only machine I've ever touched that made the Atari 400 keyboard look incredibly desirable. LOL I'll stop now......

As for the SQL ponunciation, it all depends on where and when you learned it. Some Oracle books from the nineties gave the suggested pronunciation as sequel, and not S-Q-L. I have heard it both ways by many technical types. I have been a DBA for over ten years and use both. Just depends on my mood.

Regarding the original question, those here in the states who have been in the military are probably more likely to say six five zero two or six five oh two. They will instinctively avoid sixty.

As for the SQL ponunciation, it all depends on where and when you learned it. Some Oracle books from the nineties gave the suggested pronunciation as sequel, and not S-Q-L. I have heard it both ways by many technical types. I have been a DBA for over ten years and use both. Just depends on my mood.

Oracle didn't invent SQL, they just had the first widely available commercial SQL database. SEQUEL was a trademarked name taken by someone else and IBM changed it from SEQUEL to SQL for their R-System database pretty early on years before Oracle saw release. SEQUEL syntax in it's original form is not quite the same as SQL92 syntax much less anything newer than that.

Regarding the original question, those here in the states who have been in the military are probably more likely to say six five zero two or six five oh two. They will instinctively avoid sixty.

I'll concede there. On a noisy radio, shouting in loud environments, or reading a number to someone over the phone I avoid it as well.

It's aitch.

Does anyone actually refer to the UK health service as the En-Haitch-Ess? I rest my case. :)

Agreed! Some ignorant people in the UK do use the argument that it's haitch because it has an 'H' sound. My retort is: would you pronounce the letter 'W' as wouble-wu? :-D

Edited by R6502A
  • Like 1

Agreed! Some ignorant people in the UK do use the argument that it's haitch because it has an 'H' sound. My retort is: would you pronounce the letter 'W' as wouble-wu? :-D

Quite so. Investigation of this issue led me to Stephen Fry's forum (the overwhelming concensus being in favour of "aitch", BTW). While both pronunciations may be technically acceptable, only one is awful. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Quite so. Investigation of this issue led me to Stephen Fry's forum (the overwhelming concensus being in favour of "aitch", BTW). While both pronunciations may be technically acceptable, only one is awful. :)

LOL!

Is it sad that when I hear someone say 'haitch' my opinion of their intelligence level takes a complete nose dive?

The thread is getting funny ;)

You know why "W" is called "double u"

It comes from that time when writing was some "hammering" of a staff into a hard material, to write.

U and V was written the same, because it was easier to make two straight lines.

Later the letters were released in U and VV and into V.

If you read it as it was supposed, You could write "Will" as "UUill" .

The funny point: You cannot read it as it is supposed. The englisch language has changed very much since the "Alphabet" has been created. Thus spoken words differ from written words.... too much in several cases.

It's really worth a thought, when words like "Jesus Christ" can be written as "Cheeseos Cryst" ;)

Edited by emkay