IGNORED

Wrap your heads around this one, AAers :P

Back when we still had the IBM PC jr.s (remember those?) in some of our high school classes, there was a D&D game that I and a few friends played in our down time. I cannot remember the name of it, beyond that it was D&D. It was graphically simple, as the maze through which you were adventuring was merely typographical symbols, but it had all the wit and adventure of some of the purely text-based games.

Any ideas? :?

If you're looking to run the new version of Rogue with optimal performance, you might want to look into upgrading your graphics card to this: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/02/ati_ascii.html

And there's even a popular update with improved graphics but the same simplistic rudimentary click-and-grab gameplay. It's called Diablo 2.
LOL, nice. =)

You're thinking of Rogue. The IBM com file version of the game is available on the net and it still works on modern PC's.

And there's even a popular update with improved graphics but the same simplistic rudimentary click-and-grab gameplay. It's called Diablo 2.

Heh heh heh. Come to think of it, you can play it on the GameBoy Advance as well.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

• 1 year later...

Hack was the shit. I had it on my 286. Probably Nethack which was what I had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nethack

Does anyone remember a game with similar graphics where you had to solve a murder? I believe it was made by Moraff.

You know what another great game was, but I can't remember the name. Rockstar maybe? It was text and some ascii/ansi. You went on your, released albums, videos, did drugs, etc. The more you did drugs the more creative you were, but the more unhealthy you were. As you did more drugs the screen bugged out more where you couldn't read a lot of it. I'd like to get that again too. Last I played it you had to use a cpu slowdown program because it ran so quick.

Edited by yuppicide

Does anyone remember a game with similar graphics where you had to solve a murder? I believe it was made by Moraff.

You know what another great game was, but I can't remember the name. Rockstar maybe? It was text and some ascii/ansi. You went on your, released albums, videos, did drugs, etc. The more you did drugs the more creative you were, but the more unhealthy you were. As you did more drugs the screen bugged out more where you couldn't read a lot of it. I'd like to get that again too. Last I played it you had to use a cpu slowdown program because it ran so quick.

Double post.

Edited by Rik

Thats like ROCK MANAGER,that came out a couple years back,where you manage a rock band.Its %100 like real life.You guide a band from finding the members,booking in bars,recording,give them alcohol,etc,everything,to eventually playing in huge stadiums,if you did your job right.Its a great guide on the basics on how to manage a band.

Edited by Rik

I read the wikipedia page and didn't really think the game would be fun for me, but I tried it out and after about an hour I started to figure out enough that I went down a level in the dungeon. Unfortunately, I got killed by the shop owner for some reason :(

deathob7.png

One more version is Dungeon Crawl, all ascii, totally replayable and addictive. Another Rogue-like, but has a few qualities that make it unique-- like hidden commands, runs in a dos box on your desktop, a few others that you just have to experience for yourself. I have been playing it since i discovered in about 8 years ago.

Larry's Dungeon Crawl

If you like these kinds of games, there are tons of good ones. Google Angband, T.O.M.E., ADOM, and Legerdemain. There are also Doom, Diablo, and Castlvania roguelikes as well.

Good times, especially on a laptop :)

If you like these kinds of games, there are tons of good ones. Google Angband, T.O.M.E., ADOM, and Legerdemain. There are also Doom, Diablo, and Castlvania roguelikes as well.

Good times, especially on a laptop :)

I was going to mention ADOM, which is the only one of these types of games I've ever played. I haven't won it yet-- I keep getting killed-- but it's my understanding that you need to remember what the first monster that you kill is, because that fact becomes important somehow later on in the game.

Michael

PS-- It's more tedious on a laptop, because you really need the numeric keypad for diagonal movement.

Edited by SeaGtGruff

If you're looking to run the new version of Rogue with optimal performance, you might want to look into upgrading your graphics card to this: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/02/ati_ascii.html

LOL, nice. =)

I see some disturbing parallels between that parody and the amount of brute force we're devoting to get decent text out of the 2600.