IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 3 an Intellivision Must Have

GrizzLee

How is sucky Mattel hardware that hasn't aged well and has caused a few issues here and there, a defect of your design? I have to say that a few minor issues wouldn't deter me from buying and enjoying it either.

I'd rather buy a fully assembled version myself.

Do micro sd cards need a new thing to put files on to one? Or is a normal MMC/SD card reader/writer (Or whatever the heck these things are called) compatible with micro SD cards?

Also, does it support roms that have been downloaded? I own around 70 games on cartridge and have Intellivision Lives on a game console, do I basically need to rebuy these in the form of Intellivision Lives and Rocks for the PC to get the roms from the games on to the CC3?

Edited by Atariboy

Regarding microSD,

I was also hesitant to use it at first (for Chimera). We tried doing MMC/SD but it ate into the board real-estate too much. I thought microSDs were a lot more expensive than other formfactors but the lowest capacity ones are cheap enough. I don't think the format is going to die anytime soon. I think Chad made the right call.

I generally don't care for multi-carts, but the CC3 is the one I'm excited about the most because of its added usefulness as a development tool (something sorely lacking on the Intellivision). I don't have a problem at all with providing my own cartridge case (I've got plenty of extra Math Fun cartridges), so I'd be very interested in a bare board option.

The other thing is I'm thinking about just selling these as bare boards with no cartridge case, basically a user supplies their own case deal. This saves me from the worst parts of selling these things - acquiring old shells, removing labels and getting them cleaned up. (At least no holes to cut on these ones.) I'm not sure how people would feel about that either. Keeps costs lower at least.

Whatever you need to get it released man:) I'm sure there's even some of us (myself included) that would send you some of our old shells with labels removed just so that this will see the light of day. Keep up the good work, and please release it!

Not to complicate things, but perhaps 2 versions could be offered? Maybe sell the bare board with no case for your price point of $150 and sell a finished product with case, installed chip, and a neato/nice label for $200? I think a lot of people would pay more to get a nice finished product, especially is they were made as unique serial-number exclusives kinda deal. Like it or not, these carts tend to become rare and hold their value well; even more so if they are of the "limited edition" variety.

I would likely buy this product in either case and would likely pay extra for a spiffy special cart. I was lucky enough to get a used CC2 used after they had sold out and I absolutely love it. Thanks for all the work you do and good luck with the CC3, no matter what happens!

So at this point I'm not feeling all that motivated to bring this to market. I haven't even bothered to price parts or assembly costs.

The other thing is I'm thinking about just selling these as bare boards with no cartridge case, basically a user supplies their own case deal. This saves me from the worst parts of selling these things - acquiring old shells, removing labels and getting them cleaned up. (At least no holes to cut on these ones.) I'm not sure how people would feel about that either. Keeps costs lower at least.

For the love of all things classic, please Chad, bring the CC3 to market. Your creations rock, and the CC3 looks awesome! :D

We know that some of these old systems are cranky, but it's worth whatever needs to be done on the user end (repair, replace, etc) to get stuff like the CC3 going. ;)

A bare fully assembled board is fine with me, if it means less hassle for you. No problem putting a case together for it, and micro SD is just fine.

I've had the honor to, once again, test once another wonder gadget from Schell's Electronics.

The 3rd installment of the CUttle is a must have for all fans of the Intellivision. Developers take HEED! This is the perfect device to test out your code on real hardware. No funky @$$ breadboards. No excuse for creating new games now! PLEASE!

I am more than 2/3 through my test cycle and I am happy to report that this thing works like a champ. Users of the CC2 will instantly recognize the menu as shown here. It also uses a micro SD card. A bit smaller than the CC2, but better IMHO as it allows the cart to be placed inside a normal Intellvision cart. Chad has also made the installation of ROMS or development code a snap. No more bankswitch codes!!! It is almost as easy as a drag and drop operation. So far, my only complaint about this little beauty is not of the CC3 itself, but the damn Inttellivision 2. Why couldn't they put an on/off switch on this bastard? It has made testing on this beast a pain. The original Intellivison, however is a dream. The Intellivoice works and the quirky games that don't work on the Intelly II don't work here either (perfect emulation) :ponder: Other than that, I was able to play Billards and Meteors off my Intellivsion Lives/Rocks cdz for the first time on Real Hardware. My last bit of testing will be using this on the Computer Module. If all goes well, like it has, I am confident there will be no problems.

I've already requested 2 of these babies if they ever see the light of day. If not, I am going to cry. Either that, or I secretly outsource this baby to Taiwan. :D

I hope there is interest for this wonderful piece of engineering. I'd hate to see it die.

-Lee

Note: The moire (fresnel lense??) effect (or whatever it is called) is a result of my camera, not the picture quality.

Neat! But I'm more interested in that mario kart telephone. Where'd you get that from?

Man...I'd love to have a Cuttle Cart for Intellivision (or 7800 or 2600), but the price is way too preventative for me...I just can't justify paying almost four times what I paid for my system for a cartridge, no matter how functional it is...

Despite the issues with the Intellivision hardware I would certainly purchase one! Speaking of INTV issues, I wish someone would come up with a viable solution for the joysticks. Maybe something like the Redemption 5200 for the INTV? I would if I had the expertise but alas, what little skills I have are limited to software :sad:

tjb

Problem is that on most models the controllers aren't removable; 3rd-party controllers would require soldering. :(

I remember that my cousins had joystick attachments that seemed to do a pretty good job. However, I've found that with a little patience, you can get used to the dial pad thingy before long.

Problem is that on most models the controllers aren't removable; 3rd-party controllers would require soldering. :(

I remember that my cousins had joystick attachments that seemed to do a pretty good job. However, I've found that with a little patience, you can get used to the dial pad thingy before long.

I'm ok with using the INTV controllers it's really more a problem with them breaking down.

tjb

And MMC wasn't *that* difficult to come by. It was as common as SD cards, at one point (actually, initially it was MORE available than SD cards).

The only real problem was that at the time of the first run of CC2 carts, MMC was hard to find because apparently "everyone" was "moving to SD". A few months later, Palm came out with a version of their PDA that used MMC, and MMC became easier to find again. Or at least that was my experience.

Anyhow, at $150, this is a "hell yeah!" purchase for me. I've got no problem with taking apart a Vegas for the shell. It would still be nice if we could get an official end label sticker in the package, but even without that I would just print my own and glue stick it to the cartridge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Just thought I would let people know that I've posted the *hopefully* final release version of the CC3 Editor GUI software on my site along with the CC3 manual. The CC3 manual has a screen shot filled step by step example of how to use the GUI to build menus. Hopefully all versions of the software (Win32, Linux, Mac-OS X PPC, Mac-OS X Intel) work as desired and the tutorial in the manual makes things easy enough for everyone to figure out.

As for the CC3 itself, the boards are here and ready to go, I'm just waiting on labels before I start taking orders.

http://www.schells.com/cc3.shtml

I'd appreciate if people gave the GUI and manual a spin / looking over and let me know if all is well. (Yes, it's a little klunky when dragging menu rows, but the Qt GUI package that let me build for all three OSes is rather buggy in it's "convenience" classes for tables, so I had to make do. I figured offerring linux and Mac support was worth a little quirkiness in the drag menu rows behavior.)

Hopefully the GUI makes the CC3 a little more accessible than the CC2.

Chad

Since I'm back to pay by mail and it will take a while for payments to arrive, I'm going to go ahead and open things up for orders.

I still don't have the labels, but expect them soon. You can order now, and I'll ship when I have them, or you can wait until I have them, whichever feels better to you.

Enjoy,

Chad

Your order page states that PayPal is not an option (disappointing since I used it to buy a CC2)

What options do International buyers have for payment?

Paypal has informed me that my products violate their acceptable use policy as a device that allows one to play backups of video games. It's their company, their call.

As for options, I'm still trying to find good ones. I've asked in the international forum what people have used. Personally I use international postal money orders for these things. I can buy them at the US Post Office for most countries. I assume there is something similar in other countries where people could buy money orders in US dollars.

It's been a while so I'm hazy, but in the pre-paypal days I recall people used bank transfers, cash in the mail (risky IMHO, but apparently not too bad with registered mail), money orders drawn in US dollars, and money wire services such as MoneyGram or Western Union.

So, anyone got any good ideas for me?

Chad

After sending an order I looked around for a good deal on microsd cards.

Best two options I found:

Kingston 1gb for $10 with free shipping.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4962161

PQI 1gb for $5 after $15 rebate with free shipping.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5060955

Both come from Outpost which is a very well known site. 1GB is overkill for the CC3, but the cheapest smaller capacity one I could find was a 64mb for $8.50. Might as well get a larger capacity for less or a tad more without rebate.

I went with the kingston because I hate rebates. They do show up every now and then free after rebate, but I don't see any right now. Let us all know if you find a better deal!